Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Stitch Bitch

  Recently I decided to teach myself to sew. My daughter wanted to be a pumpkin for Halloween and all you can find in the stores are infant and dog pumpkin costumes. I certainly am creative enough to come up with what I would do for a pumpkin costume, but lack the art of sewing. 

  I researched a little online then bid on a basic sewing machine on ebay and won. Well, today I ventured into Joanne Fabrics and walked into the "lion's den" of sewing. 

 My machine has not arrived yet, so out of curiosity I was browsing their machines. A F** Bi***was sitting eating in the middle of all the machines and not so politely said, "Can we help you?" (we must have been the small child that she ate for lunch) I then proceeded to explain my situation to her. She responded with, "We don't sell those here and it is probably a toy for the price that you paid." I then asked her what she would recommend for a beginning sewer. She then gave me a lecture on buying on ebay. She actually said,"BUYER BEWARE!!! Most of the time things on ebay are HOT and that is wrong, you should not support crooks by buying their HOT items." She repeated HOT about four times, at which point I actually found myself chuckling and defending ebay. Then she said that I should just buy some remnants to practice stitches and probably will not want to even sew again after starting on my piece of crap Janome 3125. 

After such a warm welcome into the world of sewing, I strolled over to Borders and bought Sewing for Dummies and am now at home waiting for my crappy purchase. God help me if I have to go back and buy fabric!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny you should have asked her to put her face on the machine and practiced sewing her lips shut.
Please learn to sew and when I visit you can teach me.
I know it should have been the other way around but hey another example of "Role Reversal"
Good luck with the Pumpkin Costume.

Anonymous said...

I don't know why feedjit says I come from Michigan. ? I am ssssssooooo far from Michigan.

Well, the sewing bitch would probably laugh at my cheapo Brother brand sewing machine from Walmart. It was $55. And it works fine for the little amounts I use it. (I get creative spurts occasionally.) Just keep it oiled and take it slow, you'll be fine.

Caffeine Court said...

She and my friend from the McDonald's Drive-Thru would get along great! Let's go back to Joanne's and rough her up a bit.

Katie Ryan said...

I sew everything. Home decor, my daughter's clothes, EVERYTHING. Let me help you. The first thing you need to do is buy a pajama pant pattern. That's the first thing I ever sewed. Pick out 2 and a half yards of cheap fabric and a ribbon that you like and some elastic. Then we'll go through it step by step, even if we have to do it in pictures through email. It'll be fun.
By the way, I sew on a Janome that I got through ebay! It even embroiders. It has worked well for many, many years.

Jaina said...

What a witch! Seriously, she should not be working in a customer service job.